Sunday, April 13, 2014

Jesus Prayed Specifically For You

Did you know that Jesus prayed for you?  See what John 17 20-21 say:

“I am praying not only for these disciples but also for all who will ever believe in me through their message. I pray that they will all be one, just as you and I are one—as you are in me, Father, and I am in you. And may they be in us so that the world will believe you sent me.”  (NLT)

Jesus prayed for “all who will ever believe in me” and that “they” (that’s you and me) “will be one” with God just as Jesus and God are one.  Amazing!

What would happen this Holy Week if we prayed as Jesus prayed and inserted our own names where he spoke of believers and disciples? 

Could we not also insert the names of our family?  Unbelievers?

Below is Jesus’s prayer found in John 17:6-19.  Insert your name or that of someone you’d like to pray for where the blank and parentheses appear. 

Pray with the assurance of the last sentence in the verse; that Jesus gave himself as a holy sacrifice for you so you can be made holy by God’s truth.

“I have revealed you to (______) whom you gave me from this world. (He/She/They) were always yours. You gave (_______) to me, and (_______) has kept your word. Now (_______) knows that everything I have is a gift from you, for I have passed on to (_______) the message you gave me. (He/She/They) accepted it and know that I came from you, and believes you sent me.
“My prayer is not for the world, but for (_______) whom you have given me, because (he/she/they) belong to you.  All who are mine belong to you, and you have given them to me, so they bring me glory.  Now I am departing from the world; (_______) is/are staying in this world, but I am coming to you. Holy Father, you have given me your name; now protect (_______) by the power of your name so that they will be united just as we are.  During my time here, I protected (_______) by the power of the name you gave me. I guarded (_______) so that not one was lost, except the one headed for destruction, as the Scriptures foretold.

“Now I am coming to you. I told (_______) many things while I was with them in this world so they would be filled with my joy.  I have given (_______) your word. And the world hates (_______) because they do not belong to the world, just as I do not belong to the world.  I’m not asking you to take (_______) out of the world, but to keep (him/her) safe from the evil one.  (_______) does not belong to this world any more than I do.  Make (_______) holy by your truth; teach (_______) your word, which is truth.  Just as you sent me into the world, I am sending (_______) into the world.  And I give myself as a holy sacrifice for (_______) so they can be made holy by your truth.”

No comments:

Post a Comment