Sunday, March 23, 2014

A "God Moment"

Romans 10:12-14

Jew and Gentile are the same in this respect. They have the same Lord, who gives generously to all who call on him. For “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”  But how can they call on him to save them unless they believe in him? And how can they believe in him if they have never heard about him? And how can they hear about him unless someone tells them?  
Romans 10:12-14

And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”  Matthew 28:20

Today is Sunday.

There was a time in the not too distant past that I hated (yes, hated) Sundays.

Before our family was torn apart about ten years ago, Sundays represented everything that was good: Going to church, a big dinner, heading to a museum with the kids, hanging out with family, naps.

After our family crisis, Sundays were the worst since either a) it was my daughter's weekend with their mom, or b) I had to take them to their mom.  On top of that, I had just gone through the bankruptcy and reorganization process at the airline I worked at, and took a big cut in pay in addition to being released from employment.  For a newly single dad, making ends meet, financially, meant working two and three jobs, taking in a renter, and accepting food from family and neighbors at times.  Talk about being humbled.

(Before I get too far along, please read on!  Mercy and redemption came a few years later)

One Sunday, I was out for a walk on a wooded path near my home, greatly saddened after dropping my girls off at their mother's home.

"God?  It really feels like you're not there.  Not there at all!  Was there something I did to deserve all this?  Why?  Why does my life have too hurt so badly?  Where are you?  Why have you left me?"

"You're not even here, are you!" I said, grudgingly.  "If you're here, please Lord, show me you're here.  I really need to know."

Now, I promise you what happened next is fact; an event that I go back to whenever a doubt about God's presence sneaks into mind.

As I walked, I looked up, and just above the treetops, a bald eagle was soaring not too high up.  Being blessed to live in an area where bald eagle sightings are occasional, I thought, "Hmmm.  OK, well that's cool, but probably just a coincidence."

The eagle continued to fly a large circle for a few moments, then seemingly out of nowhere, another bald eagle appeared from behind the trees, but a youngster - not fully grown.  Its wings were rough-looking with some gaps and ruffled trailing edges on the wings, and its flight was rather unstable.

As I watched, it looked like the younger bird overcorrected its turns in the wind, while the adult's flight was completely stable.  It was obvious to sense what was happening; that the younger was learning to fly and the adult was setting the example.

My heart softened immediately as soon as I saw the young eagle.  I knew that God heard my prayer (or should I say, my complaint?).

- Where and when have you had clues or evidence that God is near, even when he seems far off?
- Do you know someone who needs to know whom to call on, yet hasn't yet heard the Gospel message?

No comments:

Post a Comment